Sunday, February 24, 2013

Keep On Paddling

I woke up in an unfamiliar place. I was in a small inflatable raft in a very large body of water. Where was I? I had gone out for an early morning paddle, without a phone or other GPS, and dozed off. The wind and the current had carried me beyond my normal range of exploration. Unperturbed, I studied the direction I was drifting for a little while, and began to paddle in the opposite direction. After a while, a familiar landmark came into view. I kept on paddling toward it and soon found my way safely home.

That was a dream I had early this morning. If you're like me, you have many different kinds of dreams. Some are frightening. Some are funny. Some are just inexplicable mash-ups of recent events, ideas, and emotions. Some, like this one, seem to tell a story with a point.

When you find yourself adrift in unfamiliar circumstances, consider the forces that brought you there. Understand them. All of them. Work to reverse them. Swim upstream for a while, if you have to. Soon, a solution, a familiar landmark, or a clear course will become apparent. Then, just keep on paddling until you are safely home.

No comments: